Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Anything But Mine Pt 1

In light of all this Miley Cyrus drama-let me just tell you that I love it.
I am sure that it is all a ploy for fame, but isn't it all?


I can truly appreciate the vulnerability and honesty that anyone, even a star shows when they have a break down. That is the only time I can ever feel a connection with someone, especially on the radio....
There is nothing comparable to a song with pain threaded through it...and wrecking ball is just that, a story that nobody is reading.

Everyone wants to make fun of her hair, and the nudity, and her hair, and her licking a sledge hammer, and.... has anyone noticed her hair? That's all people have. She looks different, and her version of crazy is on display. I guess 'people' won't understand until they're in that state themselves.

My Miley moment came after a boy used me....and I let him.

You never know how rejection feels until you face it straight on. When you try to hold on to something and someone who simply doesn't want you anymore. That person who you gave everything to. The one you thought loved you as much as you loved them.



The first time we met was at a school dance I really didn't want to attend. It was homecoming and I stayed away from anything sports related, and dance related, for that matter. I was talked into going to the dance and I swore I would just hang out for a bit and then leave as soon as I could hitch a ride out of there.

I remember standing in the cafeteria and seeing him come through the crowd for the first time. His blonde hair was perfectly placed, he wore a light blue shirt, and his piercing blue eyes never left mine. It was almost as if he was coming straight for me, like he was on a mission-even though we had never met. He knew who I was, but I had only heard about him. As he approached me I just stood there, and let it all happen, a senior boy was about to talk to me.
 I was still trying to gather my thoughts as he introduced himself and asked me if I was Justine's best friend. I said I was, staring back. His eyes never moved. It was almost as if he knew exactly what he was doing to me. The foot of space between us was tense. One sentence from him and I was melting inside. He had this persona about him that reeked of seduction, and I wanted more of that.
Proceeding to ask me to dance, I turned him down, because, let's face it, I wasn't going to make a fool out of myself then. He took that as a challenge and put his arms around me, and then my waste. I tried acting just as coy as he had been, fighting for the upper hand.
After a while he realized I would not cave and released me. I thought I played it off well, until the next day. He was in a class of mine.
He told me soon after the dance, that he would make it a point to get me to open up to him. For an entire semester, he sat behind me. Messed with me, and flirted, making me secretly like him back.
For me, this relationship started out as an accident. My best friend had the biggest crush on him, and it was immediately forbidden to talk to him. Except, that winter, she and I had a falling out.
I can't even remember what we fought about but it was one for the books. We didn't talk for weeks, and she had seemed to move on from her original crush, which opened a door for me.
I had never given him my phone number, or purposefully acted interested in him, all the while he made it a point to partner with me on every assignment. I knew I shouldn't like him. I knew it was the start of something.
In December I passed out invitations to my 16th birthday party, and of course, he got a hold of one. From there he got my phone number and sent me the first text message I ever received in my life.
I remember running into my sisters room from across the hall and acting like a total 16 year old. I was the giddiest I had ever been, because the hottest guy in school just text me. 
He asked me out and I said yes.

The next few months consisted of countless dates. Multiple times a week.

I felt like I was in an 80's movie. I felt like he was different with me.
We talked on the phone every night for hours, playing the question game and laughing.
We laid under the stars in his truck bed and just talked about life as the fire flies danced over the corn fields. We listened to a lot of Kenny Chesney, and came home past curfew. We cuddled a lot, and I liked feeling close to someone. For once, I felt like I was an exception.

He was very patient with me. We made out of course, but never did anything else until I initiated it. I was surprised at that because I knew of his track record. It made me feel respected.

I knew this guy would be life changing. And after April 15th 2005, it did.

It was a Friday, and we'd be going on a date as usual. I didn't know what to wear so I borrowed a tank top and pink jacket from my sister's closet, and of course my favorite silver jeans. We were going to play putt putt so I wanted to be comfortable. I had a special feeling about that night, like something big was going to happen.
We went to play putt-putt, and I cheated, but won. We went to the park, and talked in the truck. We both knew what we were going to do.
Feeling overwhelmed and looking for a distraction we decided to go out for ice cream, and then back to the park. It was unavoidable.
He chased me around the playground like we were in a movie, and we danced. We danced, on top of a castle to Anything But Mine by Kenny Chesney. He had pulled the speakers from his truck so we could hear the music playing anywhere. I felt as though we were straight out of a Taylor Swift album, like pure magic.
You know what happens next.

When we left the park, I remember being calm, and relaxed- not like I had just lost my virginity. R on the other hand, was shaking. Somehow, it made me feel good that he was so nervous.

We continued our dating for months, and it remained magical. He was the first boy I ever snuck into my house, and I climbed an electrical pole into his. Pure 16 year old gold, right?

As the months passed, the dreaded time came where we had to say goodbye. He was a senior after all. This whole time we did not have one fight. We mixed well together, but I knew it was the end. Cold turkey, we stopped talking. No phone calls, texts, letters, or anything. We left each other to our memories.

Years later, when I was in college he contacted me on Facebook, and from then on, I never even had a chance.




1 comment: