Thursday, August 29, 2013

Being yourself is terrifying.

In a previous post I mentioned my haunting career situation at this point. Up to today I have felt very calm and collected about everything but I am starting to feel like this can be compared to a "bad date" situation. (Is he going to call? Should I call him? Did I say something stupid?)

On August 8th I went to a job fair and met an up and coming Orthodontist in the area who has been searching for an Office Manager for her practice opening in mid to late September. She expressed that she would not be contacting anyone for interviews until the beginning of September. That one comment has kept me going for the past -almost- month. I am typically NOT a let things play out kind of girl. However, with this one I have been. surprise.

The dilemma is that I am starting to behave like an insecure school girl about getting an interview. This job is my dream job, where I can use all of my experiences and schooling together to grow an Orthodontic practice in my home town. This job intimidates the crap out of me, but I am beyond up for the challenge. I am quite qualified for the job, which is not what scares me. Its, what if someone else is more qualified.

Whats neat about this situation is that the Dr. possibly hiring me, is actually a friend of my step-sister, and other friends of mine in the community, who I have all heard wonderful feedback from. I have no choice but to remain calm, and maintain my confidence, but could it be any harder the closer you come to getting that call?

So, what makes me think I would be the best for this job, and why is this specific office the best for me? Well, I'm glad you asked. Something I have learned in my past experiences with office management and direct sales is that when you open a practice (or in my case a skin care and cosmetic business) it takes a lot of heart to establish and maintain success. I have been in a position where I have hired others and they took advantage. I believe that everything I do is an extension of me. I put my heart into everything I do, and I pride myself in my work. There is no "half assing" (for lack of better words) with me. To be successful it does take hard work, skill and many other things, but heart is what makes or breaks it. Yourself, as well as your staff must have the correct motives and work together for a common goal in order for a goal that big to take off. I would want this practice to be as successful as the owner. Not because its my practice, but because I take pride in being a part of it.

This career move, for me, would be a huge blessing for my family and it would mean the world to us. I can confidently say that I want this more than anyone else. This would mean that my husband and I could have another child, build a house, and get completely out of debt. Maybe we could even take a family vacation sometime. This would be a career I would stay at all my life if permitted, and would allow for time with my family I have never had before.

I know that I should not even be nervous about it. The best thing I can do is "be myself" but ya know, when you want something sooooo bad yourself is the terrifying part.

I feel like this was placed in my path on purpose. It gives me something to look forward to and has completely gotten my mind rolling in the right direction. This is the only position that made me completely reconsider becoming a pink Cadillac sales director and getting out of MK completely. I know God has shut that door and I cannot wait to see where the next one opens.

I am not the kind of girl that just wants to go to work. I crave structure and I crave goal setting. Although I would not have much room for advancement, as I'd be starting out as the Office Manager, I would still have the challenge of growing the practice which is still quite exciting. Just like in marriage, I look forward to being able to say that I have been in one place for 25 years. I want a career I can be proud of!

As I get closer and closer to September I get more and more nervous. Jays family reunion is this weekend so at least I will have something to distract me.

Keep your fingers crossed for me! :)

I have not had an official interview in quite a few years, so please feel free to comment with advice you would like to give! Thanks so much!

2 comments:

  1. I really hope you get this job! :) Keeping my fingers crossed for you!

    P.S. loving the new layout!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I am hopeful too, obviously lol
    I made the layout myself. I was a BIG HTML junkie when myspace was around and I am happy to be doing it again. Blogging is so much fun! Lol

    ReplyDelete